Sunday, June 19, 2016

Time for Another Book Review


So...its been a while since I have reviewed anything, and as it happens I have just finished a pretty God damn interesting book so thought I would share it with you. Now before you all take one look at the title and think "oh God, singledom is getting to her - she is now completely mad for one thing...", I invite you my dear readers to simply brew some tea, get comfy and continue reading.

I Love Dick is an intriguing read, and truth be told I had no idea what I the content would entail. To give you an idea of how much I loved this book I have now ordered other titles from my new favourite author Chris Kraus.

The Elephant in the room...

Ok let's get this over with and talk a little bit about the title, I can practically feel your judging expressions leaping out at me. I would like to point out that anyone who is reading this with a slightly immature grin on their face, the title of this book refers not to part of the male genitalia, but rather to a contemporary of Kraus', a fellow cultural critic, who goes by the name Dick. So, yes I am going to take that ever infuriating intellectual high ground and raise my eyebrows back at you! However, I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed the shocked expressions on the faces of the prude middle class mothers and business men on the Tube when I was reading it.


Time of some spoilers...

I can guarantee you that this book will be unlike anything you have read recently. Kraus, in her unique writing style manages to completely de-construct the social norms of writing, the book is written like a memoir, but not a memoir, critics calling a new genre.

This 'novel', so to speak, follows Kraus' infatuation with the character Dick, after first meeting him for dinner with her husband Sylvere. This infatuation becomes the crux of the narrative and a vital aspect to the novel, with Kraus and her husband openly writing letters and leaving messages for Dick practically begging him to sleep with Chris. Although most of these letters are not sent, and the phone is often hung up before a message left, my guess is that these projections are metaphors for Chris and Sylvere's sexual exploration and the deconstruction of their marriage.

In fact, as I read it, it became more and more clear that the character Dick soon ceases to be a part of reality, and merely becomes a projection of Kraus' desire. A projection that is a representation of a life she strives for, but will never have.

Yet, when the two do eventually get together and Dick is there in the flesh so to speak, Kraus believes her desires will be fulfilled. However, reality kicks in and she is only left disappointed and empty as she realises that Dick sees her as noting more than a temporary nuisance. Thus, symbolising the brutal reality of life and unrequited love.

On reflection...

Although Kraus herself has denied the novel as a memoir, she admits to a few of the facts as true, and that it was indeed a reflection of her own journey. The characters are all based on actual people in her life, with Dick's name not being changed, despite the cease and desist letters he apparently sent her at the time of publication. She has said that she changed some of the events to protect the identity of everyone.

Although this book, with chapter after chapter starting with 'Dear Dick', apart from one where she admits to him being more of a projection and thus starting with 'Dear Diary', point to her deep infatuation with a man, I believe this book isn't so much about Kraus' obsession with Dick, but it more a journey of self discovery.

Overall, I would recommend this to any of you out there who have experienced that all consuming high school crush, work-collegue infatuation or the unspoken words between friends. I related to more than one aspect in this novel and I challenge anyone who is put off by the title not to empathise with Kraus' journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment