Monday, January 2, 2017

Time to Say Goodbye



Right 2016 has gone, vanished, it's history - everyone can now come out of their various hiding holes and breathe again! It's time to make those resolutions that we never stick to, join that gym that we never go to and in my case get my UK driving license that I've never gotten round to getting (I know - bit behind). So it's finally 2017! I saw in the new year cramped on a tiny balcony in East London, attempting to huddle for warmth with my mates (if anyone has seen March of the Penguins - imagine that but with people), watching the sky explode with fireworks as everyone happily popped champagne and said goodbye to a horrible year.

Now I wouldn't say that 2016 has been the worst year in history (1916 or 1945 for example, or the year Kanye West became famous...), but let's be honest, it hasn't been great. Personally, I was left devastated by Brexit, appalled by the events in Syria, angry at Trump and I will never truly be able to get over the sudden passing of Alan Rickman (as I write this I can't help but murmur 'alllwaaaays' to myself in what I feel is a worthy imitation).

Global events aside, however, 2016 wasn't a bad year for me. Actually it was really great. I completely changed careers having quit my job a year before to go travelling, I explored four new countries, left behind a toxic relationship, started dating again, unlocked a couple more of my passions and quite frankly grew up. Most importantly, I stopped second guessing myself, stopped thinking that I'm not good enough for someone and stopped compromising parts of my life for someone else's happiness. At the beginning of 2016, I gave myself an order -  that I was going to be a bit more selfish and less of a people pleaser this year, and I followed through. It was great - I highly recommend it.

It wasn't all good though, the one thing that 2016 did teach me is that sometimes things have an expiry date and that nothing really lasts forever, however much you may want it to. Sometimes you have to walk away and not look back. And so it is with this blog. I've enjoyed writing and editing this blog for the past four years but looking back on all the things I've written about from Kenyan life to dating in London, I can say with confidence that I'm no longer the same person I was. I've outgrown this lovely little blog and in the spirit of the New Year I'm moving on and leaving it behind.

It's not all doom and gloom though, as I think I would go mad if I stopped writing. So I have started a new blog, one which is a better reflection of myself. My new blog, A Shade More Sensible, (please stop rolling your eyes and/or laughing) will be up and running soon, and if you wish to keep up with my ramblings you can visit it here: www.ashademoresensible.com where I will happily be writing away with a laptop in one hand and a cappuccino in the other.

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment