Saturday, April 9, 2016

Single In The City: The Breakup

My mates taking everything out of my hands and 'swiping' for the potential talent. 
So after an eventful few days, ladies and gentlemen, I am finally single in London. After a somewhat rocky few months, my last relationship has come to an end. Though don't worry the tone of this blog post won't be all doom and gloom - far from it, but I feel like I have to tell the story as it will set the tone for the new direction that my blog is heading in (and also, it's a pretty funny story)!

So let's set the scene: I'm in a relationship with someone, and we were planning a trip away together at the beginning of May to celebrate our two year anniversary. A few days beforehand I had my 25th birthday (ah 25 - quartre of a century! cannot believe it! Get me a Zimmer frame now!) and I had a moment of realisation (albeit in the pouring rain, mid-argument with said boyfriend). The realisation I had was one that I think everyone has when they know there is no way you can salvage something, and in my case no way you wanted to.

Anyway flash forward a couple of days and we went for coffee to have the dreaded 'talk' about the relationship. I thought that this was it, the breakup chat, however, what followed was him telling me how much he loved me and me starting into my mug of earl grey tea and trying really hard to think of a way to let him down gently. I hold my hands up here and say that I failed, and thought ok I'll give him one last shot.

This now takes us to Sunday three days later where the boyfriend is taking me for a birthday surprise meal. He took me to Dans le Noir, which by the way is an awesome place to go and a great experience - definite shout out. For those of you who don't know you eat completely in the dark, have no idea what you are eating and the waiters are visually impaired. After course one he says out of the blue 'my sister and my mate say I should be single...and I'm going to do what they say....'

Cue: the entire restaurant goes silent.

Now I could have left then and there - and maybe I should have done but truth be told, bar the fact that it was pitch black and I would have broken something if I moved, I was shocked at the cowardice of it all. Nope, he was not getting out of this so easily. Nothing quite prepares you for someone's true character shining through in an unexpected way. Slowly, in what I can only describe as a truly British characteristic, awkward conversations started popping up again as we ate the rest of our meal in silence.

I won't bore you with the details of what followed once we had left the restaurant, suffice to say that anyone at Farringdon restaurant that night would have been quite entertained. 

What made me think, though, was the aftermath in the digital world. He didn't even have the courage to say the actual words whilst looking me in the eye, yet he was happy to up what I can only describe as an attention-seeking Facebook update. All of his friends deleted as quickly as possible (I assume this - I didn't actually notice this had happened for a month or so) and instead of any of the normal emotions you are supposed to go through, I just ended up feeling sorry for him. Yet the question remained - is this just the way it happens now? Are our relationships completely dictated by Instagram posts and facebook statuses? I guess we shall have to see... 

Anyway after that slightly long winded account - on to the exciting part of this blog post. I met said boyfriend pretty much as soon as I came to London so never experienced really being single in the city. Say hello to ''Single in the City', the new part of my blog where I will be trying out different dating apps (though I wont be looking for anything serious or particularly long term), going to new places and going crazy with my best mate who bizarrely became single on the same day. But don't worry folks I will keep it relatively PG!

Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Words of advice- no, in fact, f*ck it, v entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i was browsing through the internet with my computer then i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contaced him and he help me cast a reunion spell, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any relationship problem at:

    ( agbazara@gmail.com )
    OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete