Thursday, September 10, 2015

10 Things You Learn When You Give Up Drinking



There is no doubt that I have changed over the last couple of years (don't worry - that's not me in the photo - I haven't changed that much). Ask anyone who knew me at uni and they would talk to you about my drunken escapades and great 'night out' stories. That, my friends is a thing of the past.

A year and a half ago I gave up drinking alcohol. No, I am not talking about doing a health kick or trying a 'dry' month - I am talking cold turkey, out of my system, three drinks per year sober. For those who don't know, I have a liver condition (read about it here if you so desire). It is incurable and I will have it for the rest of my life. I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that it was not in any way brought on by drinking alcohol (it's a common mistake to make and we can't all be doctors so I will forgive any of you for jumping to that conclusion). Anyway I won't bore you with the details, but something in my life had to go - me or the alcohol, and I chose to preserve me.

Many of you might not think this is a big feat, but then again think about it - that beer with your mates after a long week, that longed for glass of wine with a good steak, that dutch courage to get you through seeing people you actively dislike - all gone! I went from party girl to in bed by 10 girl in a week, and at the time I thought my life was over, I had no idea how to cope. As luck would have it though, it turns out the things I've learnt about myself and the experiences I've had without alcohol in my life have made every step of the journey worth it.

So what did I actually learn? 

1)  I can say with complete confidence that I know who I am. A big statement I know, and it could change later on but when hangovers and late starts are a thing of the past, you start to re-evaluate certain aspects of your life. I know now that I want to be a writer, whatever that entails and I know who I am as a person, I don't feel like I need to find myself anymore just yet.

2)  I don't let people hold me back anymore. Although I definitely have a way to go, my people pleasing days are slowly becoming a thing of the past now. If I am the only one putting effort into a relationship, I say F it and leave it, I just don't care anymore.

3) I am always full of energy(apart from when I realise I might miss the last tube home - then suddenly I'm shattered). This is a BIG DEAL for me as one of the symptoms of PSC is chronic fatigue.

4) It's the best way to fund my adventures. The average person (myself included) can save over £200 a month just by not drinking in London. So that's what I did and 12 months and £2,400 later and I  paid for an entire holiday in the Caribbean, and return flights to both Australia and Kenya - and I still had a little bit left over!

5) You lose the negative people in your life. I would be lying if I said that I haven't lost friends because I have stopped drinking, hell it was even one of the contributing factors to the end of a relationship. To be honest though, if people cannot accept you for who you are the changes you make then I for one am not interested in having them in my life.

6) Not to be so judgemental all the time. People live their lives according to different standards and its not my place to make comments about how they do it, the same way I know people judge me for quitting my job to travel the world, for not being in control of my life and for being slightly obsessive and over sensitive on certain things. I am still a bit guilty of this but its part of who I am - sorry!

7) Mocktails and Non-Alcoholic Beer taste the same(ish) and get you out of any awkward discussions that you don't want to have. Not drinking in the UK is a big deal - people automatically judge you for it and if you then tell them why they decide to pity you. Either way - I am so not interested in having that conversation.

8) Losing weight - slice of cake! Seriously take alcohol out of the equation if you are trying to slim down and you are sorted - I have gone down about two sizes without even trying, I only notice it when I try on old clothes and they are too baggy. On top of that, bad skin, hair and nails are a thing of the past.

9) Alcohol isn't everything. I have realised I am perfectly capable of going out to the dingiest and darkest clubs and dancing the night away with just water as a drink. On average I spend a tenner on a night out (in London!) I know there are lots of people out there who say 'I need alcohol in me to dance' or you can't visit that place 'unless you are smashed' but honestly, I bet they haven't even tried.

10) To love myself. Sounds cheesy as hell I know, but it's true - it takes a lot to bring me down now! I am very confident now and I honestly can't remember the last time I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw.

That said yes I do miss it. I miss going down to the pub with some friends and having a bottle of wine and a gossip, I miss being crazy from time to time and I miss not having small talk when you first meet someone. But those are all things you get over. I happen to live in a place where there is a big binge drinking culture and there are those who can't think about a life without alcohol, and there are those who just get on with it and do it.

Until Next Time

GlobalPawprints x


*image source: Shutterstock

No comments:

Post a Comment