Monday, May 16, 2016

Disconnecting And Reconnecting With My Life!

Enjoying the view in Queenstown, New Zealand

In the last couple of weeks, something exploded in my life which caused my phone to ring off the hook, my whatsapp to explode with messages and my phone to constantly light up to tell me that I have an urgent e-mail that I need to respond to.

Of course, me being me, I found myself frantically answering all the messages, passing on information and getting very caught up in the whole situation. At least until about two days ago when I stopped, took a look in the mirror and realised how unhealthy it was. I suddenly hated the fact that everyone could get hold of me at any time, from anywhere in the world, through just about every app available. 

With the huge surge in social media over the past few years, and the personal things which have happened to me in the last couple of months, I think I was coming close to forgetting who I really was. I wasn't focussing enough time on me, I was focussing all my efforts on other people.

No caption needed :( 

I have been on some dates recently where the person I am with has checked their phone mid conversation! |While it would be way too easy to push the blame onto someone else I know I too am guilty of constantly whipping out my phone to see if I have any messages, and I hate that. I have friends who, when I see them, are on their phone the whole time and that's fine because that is personal to them, but I don't want to be that way any more. 

Social media literally makes you the most anti social person ever, and I know it is part of modern society, but getting your phone out in front of someone sends the message to them that pretty much anything else in the world is more interesting to you than them. 

So here is my big declaration (drum roll please): I will no longer be buying into the culture of 'digital likes' and seeing how well my photos on instagram are doing and things like that because I have realised that to be honest - I just don't care. I think I am almost (I say almost because I am not there just yet) at the point where I would rather chill and enjoy the view than take a pic for social media straight away.

Me on Magnetic Island in Australia - trying to get as far from civilisation as possible! 

So I have decided to cleanse my digital sphere so to speak. I have deleted snapchat, because to be honest at this moment in my life I don't really care what other people are doing with theirs. I have deleted Facebook and Facebook messenger off my phone, meaning I actually have to log onto it on a computer to see my notifications (archaic I know). But the biggest and best change I have made so far is turning off all the notifications on my phone, it no longer buzzes every five minutes with a new message and actually for the first time in a long time I feel happier because of it. Also to anyone who is in contact with me - I am not ignoring you I swear, I will just get back to you later! :) 

So that said, now it's time for me to literally disconnect from my digital life and start reconnecting with my real one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment