Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Introducing Faraja


Ok last Saturday I completely caved and headed off to the David Sheldrick Trust with the view of adopting an elephant. Now I don't usually visit this place as I generally prefer to see elephants in the wild and I do tend to get a little annoyed with the mass groups of tourists pushing and fighting their way to the fence (don't get me wrong - it's great that people go and see it and it really does raise awareness - but why does it always have to turn into a competition about who has the biggest and best camera?). If you go to one of these places it shouldn't be too hard to show a little respect for the animals.   

Anyway, moving swiftly on -  the little guy who caught my eye is a small bull called Faraja. He is almost two years old and was found in Amboseli without his mum (unfortunately this separation is believed to be the work of maasai herdsmen).  Interestingly he wasn't found completely alone, but with female members of his family who seemed to be trying to take care of him. Sadly he was too small to survive without his mother's milk so had to be rescued.

Faraja Today
One of the reasons that I decided to adopt Faraja had a bit to do with the fact that he's an albino elephant. I like that he's a little different from the others (and it also meant that he is pretty easy to spot). Normally elephants are born with a dark grey skin pigmentation but Faraja is much lighter. As a foster parent I get the opportunity to go to the Sheldrick Trust after hours and spend some one to one time with Faraja and hopefully he will make it through and eventually be released into the Tsavo National Park where I will go and see him in the wild.

I admit that I might be a little elephant mad - but I am completely at a loss as to how anyone can kill such amazing creatures. Poaching to me is probably one of the cruelest
acts out there and seriously - we are in the 21st century so if you still believe that ivory has healing powers and can be used as an aphrodisiac then I suggest that you check yourself into the nearest mental health clinic, effective immediately. Only Elephants (and Rhinos) should wear ivory - so please don't buy it. Just a thought.

So if any of you are looking for something a little bit different to give someone for Christmas this year - give them an elephant! Ok not a real one - somehow I don't think that would work out well for either party involved, but why not adopt one? It's really not a lot of money - in fact its cheaper than adopting three bumblebees in Devon and its way cooler (no offense to any bee lovers out there).




If you want to read Faraja's full story (or see the video of his rescue) or adopt an elephant of your own follow this link:  http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/asp/orphan_profile.asp?N=278

x
Expat Diaries 
Twitter: @ExpatDiariesAfr 
Instagram: Amyshawza
Facebook: Expat Diaries Africa and Abroad

No comments:

Post a Comment