Tuesday, December 29, 2015

All I Want For Christmas Is...A Selfish Tendency.

It's that time of year again, I have opened far too many presents, eaten my body weight in carbs and as a result gained about 50 kilos - but hey it's Christmas so obviously its allowed, right?

Another year has flown by and in that time I have turned my life topsy-turvy in an attempt to find myself. I left my stressful city job, took a huge bite out of my savings and travelled from the Caribbean to Australia to become, for about six months, a true 'backpacker'.

Just a bit of light reading....


Did I find myself? Probably not if I'm being honest, though I did feel that to quote Jean-Paul Satre 'Hell is other people' (no offence). This is not to say that I don't like people, I do but I feel that in most circumstances I preferred my own company: sharing a coffee or a meal with one other person - wonderful, 70 people crowded onto a tiny viewpoint - not so wonderful (for full details see my previous post).  Though I suppose if travelling gave me one lesson to take forward into 2016 it was quite simply: to be selfish. I know that sounds horrible and most of you who know me are probably making a quiet note to avoid me in the future, but I mean it. I feel that one should live life by their own rules and not by rules that someone else has set out for them - you only have one life after all.

This is not to say that I am going to turn into a horrible person (at least I really hope not), instead it means that I am going to learn to put my foot down when I don't agree with something, and not be talked into things by people I don't really even like. 2016 is, fingers crossed, going to be the year I do things my way.



I have plans I want to set into action, I want to write a book and start my own company, I want to hike in Canada and climb Ben Nevis (yep still working on that to do list...) so, as I head off to Malu to spend my New Year in a treehouse (yes a treehouse!!) I'm quite exited to see whether I will be able to achieve some of things I want to do or if 12 months will see me sitting by the fireplace, eating mince pies and saying 'God I wish I had been more Selfish!!".

I guess only time will tell...and to end on a quote from the wonderful Nicki Minaj from The Other Woman: "Selfish People Live Longer!"



No comments:

Post a Comment