Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Kuranda: The Village in the Rainforest

So my travels are now pretty much underway, I have been accepted into the country - my first milestone has been reached. I have to travel with loads of medication due to having PSC and was convinced they would turn me away at the border. This feeling was made even more certain when I saw they happened to be filming the channel 7 ‘border control’ programme when I arrived so I felt suspicious eyes on me everywhere. Everyone, however, was perfectly charming and there were no issues. Anyway, I have beaten the jet lag and seen a kookaburra so I feel like my journey has begun.


I kicked off my travels with a trip up into the mountains to Kuranda: the village in the rainforest. Everyone calls it the hippie village in the mountains, and to be honest it definitely is. There are hundreds of shops selling crystals, ‘magic potions’ and to my horror the exact same elephant candle holder I have back home (so much for being unique!!).


Having said that, Kuranda is pretty unique with its cafes and shops nestled amongst huge trees and flowers. The whole place has a certain vibe to it, as soon as you arrive you immediately want to chill out and do nothing. All you need are a few hours there to take it all in, and we did just that and wandered around, listening to the wind chimes while sipping honey moon lattes (because we are super hipster now) and looking at paintings by local artists.


Instead of doing the backpacker thing and paying for a tour of the area we just jumped on the local bus from central Cairns and made our way up the winding mountain roads. I know I am supposed to be being responsible with my money and blah blah blah but there were a few things I couldn't help but sneakily add to my collection – though to be fair they are all gifts for people so I don't feel too guilty!

I'm currently writing this post in one of the coolest little hostels I have ever been to! Travellers Oasis in Cairns is nothing if not characteristic, with painted walls and lovely decorated rooms to a quaint little pool and free tea and coffee, so to say I'm happy here is an understatement!



The Great Barrier Reef is next for me and I head there tomorrow, followed by Cape Tribulation and then down the East Coast. I will try and update my blog as often as possible but if you don't hear from me for a few days it's probably just because I don't have any internet.
Global PawPrints xx





No comments:

Post a Comment