Thursday, March 5, 2015

Roses are Red, Violents are Blue and all that... - Feb Blog Challenge


Ok can someone tell me how it got to March already? As in where did February go? As one of the shortest (and in my opinion coldest) months of the year, I have to admit that most nights I surrendered my social life in favour of cinnamon hot chocolate and sex in the city. However I have promised you all a monthly update of things I have been doing so here goes

So what did I get up to then?

The Comedy Club in Leicester Square.

Ok I have to admit, I had mixed feelings about this one but for entirely personal reasons as opposed to the actual comedians who were performing. Unfortunately my first time here was overshadowed by a rather uncomfortable and awkward situation, as my boyfriend decided that it would be a fantastic idea and opportune moment to introduce me to his ex…on our first valentines together….ho hum…. To be fair it would have been fine had she not constantly been staring at me – no joke every time I looked up. Seriously imagine going out with a group of people and every time you look up one person is constantly starting at you – creepy is the word haha and sadly it did distract from the comedy a little bit (before you all start criticising the boyf for being so incredibly stupid, he definitely made up for it the next day by leaving flowers and card on my doorstep *insert generic awwww*)  Regardless of my first time going there I would definitely recommend it as somewhere to go, it’s the type of place which has seen many greats take to the stage…and many not so greats… Also you have to ask yourself – do English comedians have any other material to joke about other than sex and the weather? But if you are into that sort of thing then it’s definitely a pretty good night out and the acts we saw really weren't too bad all things considered. I guess is one of those things where you don't really know what you are going to get and just have to try your luck. Also if you go and its really not your cup of tea then hey its right next to soho so if you get bored there is plenty to do.       

Cats - The Musical

Well if anything was needed to brighten up my February it was this. The amount of excitement I had about seeing this was huge – I mean who out of you didn’t have Cats on Video as a kid? It all came back to me on the night, all the lyrics and all the different stories of the different cats. For those of you who don’t know the idea for the musical was made by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice who took poems from T. S. Eliot and turned them into songs. Its great, though the most impressive thing is the dancing and costumes, what I wouldn’t do to be able to perform like that. I loved this so much that I might even save up a few quid and see if I can head back there to watch it before it closes. I went as part of a couples night (I know me – ha since when?) and after a pretty nice dinner at ping pong dim sum (excellent food – definitely go) we headed to the aptly named ‘Jellicle Ball Room’ to watch the show, and yes I was practically moved to tears when Memory was sung.
The Cultural Bit

Yep you read that right – I did some cultural Londony stuff this past month. i.e Museum time. Now this has to be one of the best parts about being in a city in London - its full of some of the worlds best museums including The Victoria and Albert, Natural History Museum and British Museum to name a few. The reason I went this time is because I had a very close friend of mine visiting from Paris and she wanted to hit the Tate Modern and National Portrait Gallery. Now the National Portrait Gallery I quite enjoyed – especially the Tudors bit (anyone watching Wolf Hall at the moment? Damien Lewis anyone?) I always think it’s quite interesting looking back to the Kings and Queens of the UK and how the paintings represent their reign. The way painting has changed over the years is also fascinating. The Tate Modern – I admit I have a harder time with. Maybe its because of the feeling that you have to dissect each painting to find what the artist is doing or maybe its because many of them aren't very detailed. Whatever the reason, its still definitely worth popping in and having a look around. 



Also as a last minute add on I saw both of these signs on Valentine's day which both entertained me hugely so I thought I would add them in for comedy's sake!





So there is February in a nutshell, and I promise that March will be far more interesting as I have lots planned, for one its my birthday and even more exciting I am heading off around Eastern Europe for a few days and will definitely be updating this as I go along.





No comments:

Post a Comment