Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter In Africa


Ok I know it has been ages since I have written a post  for this blog and I am very sorry to all my readers out there but I have been hugely busy. However, having a few extra days off work meant that I could take the time to sit down and write something for you guys, and hey its Easter so I thought why not. Ever since I can remember Easter in Kenya was dominated by two things. Firstly there was always the sailing camp that we were sent to from the moment we could walk, and secondly there was almost always the looming dread of having to have a full family get together.

The sailing camp, from what I can remember was always a laugh, bar the 8am run around the island to wake us up.. Imagine running, or walking (which is what we did as soon as we learnt the word no) alongside zebras, giraffes, and wilderbeast - pretty cool hey (however I am happy to report to younger campers that the area in question is now under water, so swimming is now the exercise of choice - watch out for the hippos though). The sailing races coupled with easter egg hunts around the island, which were surprisingly good considering that the monkeys stole at least half of the eggs, meant that Easter at Naivasha was always a laugh.  

The family get together on the other hand, was always somewhat of a stressful affair. That said I have to take my hat off to mum for hiding Easter Eggs frantically around our house or wherever we happened to be over Easter while growing up. She knew that for every egg she hid, a monkey or bird or some type of animal would be right behind taking their share (or in one bizarre incident at Baringo, a snake - but that is another story). On the other end of the spectrum we had our grandma who seemed to be producing the same eggs year after year in the hope that we would one day cave and eat them (never happened, and I am pretty sure that she still has them somewhere).  I have to say it doesn't quite work trying to have a 'British' Easter in the boiling heat, firstly all of the chocolate melts and really who is ever in the mood for a roast when its hot (don't even get me started on the Christmas traditions the family insist on having year after year, though to be fair we did make pimms last year).  

I have to say that although a completely different experience for me, Easter in UK seems alright. Now I feel that Easter is not complete without a Lindt Bunny and at least a box of cadbury's creme eggs, not to mention the highly appropriate Easter Egg with my mates gave to me. 



That said - Happy Easter Everyone, hope it was great and you all had lots of chocolate!! 

x
Expat Diaries 
Twitter: @ExpatDiariesAfr 
Instagram: Amyshawza
Facebook: Expat Diaries Africa and Abroad

No comments:

Post a Comment