Sunday, November 17, 2013

Where Do I fit in?

So I recently booked flights to UK and it got me to thinking about how different that side of the world is. It’s always interested me how as soon as I'm in the UK I'm put into a category, from the moment I cross border control till the moment I leave. For example you’re either from the north or the south (or the midlands, which as far as I can tell means the southerners think you’re northern and the northerners think you are southern) you are judged by which school you went to, what music you listen to and what you wear. I get that these are just general stereotypes but the fact that I don't seem to fit into one seems to really confuse people.

To be honest it was great fun at the start of Uni watching people try furiously to fit me into a category so that they could “understand” me. It was almost like everyone had a checklist which I just complicated. 

The amount of times someone says to me – “really sorry but I can’t place your accent. Where exactly are you from?” is countless and needless to say I have a long and short answer always prepared depending on who’s asking.

Education seems to be the most difficult for people. Most people tend to be confused when I say I went to an International School which was basically American – they look at me strangely and usually make some joke about cheer-leading or pep rallies which I promptly ignore. They tend to get a bit more hopeful when I say I went to Public School in the UK after for two years. You can just see this information running through their minds – Yes ok she went to Public School so I can pop her into that category – but  wait she is hardly ‘rah’ and she seems to be wearing a scarf in the summer and what look like pyjama bottoms?? hmmmmm…..

Once I say I am from Kenya they usually give up, presuming that I am South African and promptly put me into the ‘foreigner’ category.  I have friends who are so often called Aussie, Irish, Egypt and Swiss that I am actually quite concerned that I will forget their real names.

Ok I admit that I might be being slightly stereotypical here – but it’s not so much me as what people expect me to be. I admit that I did have a phase when at school in the UK where I thought ‘yikes – everything is so new to me, the people are so different to what I am used to, this is a complete culture shock – I must try and fit in immediately!” Needless to say – that didn't last. At all!  

Uni was, thankfully, a completely different experience to school with people just accepting the fact that “I was not from around here”. I quickly got the nickname “Kenya” along with the constant jibes about life in Africa. One of the most annoying things was the game invented by some of my friends under the influence of whatever they served at the Union bar, called “Slap the tribal tattoo” – the name is pretty self-explanatory and I spent many a night getting frustrated with it and woke up countless times the morning with a sore shoulder cursing the main perpetrators (you both know who you are and I will have my revenge). 

The thing is – I'm used to it now. I answer to "Kenyan" as much as I do my own name and people seem to accept that I am the girl who wears weird flowy trousers as soon as she sees sun then complains bitterly when it's still cold.  I think toe rings are an acceptable form of jewellery and the only beer I ever drink is Tusker. My hair can often resemble a lions mane, I always wear at least 10 bracelets and my accent is all over the place. But you better get used to this now guys - I doubt I'll be changing any time soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment