Friday, March 18, 2016

A Night at The Burlesque

So last week I did something a bit different, it was my boyfriend's birthday and instead of doing the standard gift giving and over priced meal out, I decided to book something a bit different - a Burlesque Show!

The opening act... 
It was the first time either of us had been to this type of performance, and after picking my friends brain I opted to go to Proud City in the heart of London. It was had reasonable pricing, and we had a three course meal and a great table to watch the show from. To be honest I didn't really know what to expect, my experience so far of the world of burlesque was literally that movie with Cher and Christina Aguilera, so basically no experience at all.

Me all dressed up! Boom! 
When I old people where I was taking my boyfriend I definitely got some 'roll your eyes' comments thrown my way. Hopefully though, the people involved have learnt from this. You have to understand that burlesque is not about the sexual objectification of women for men - in fact it couldn't be further from that. Any provocative moves which are shown are only sexy because the artist makes it so - they own the sexiness - not the audience. It's a performance and a show, with both male and female burlesque performers taking to the stage.

Nom!
The funny thing is that the male performer ended up being my boyfriend's favourite act!

I was really surprised by the whole experience - I absolutely loved it! The performers captivated the audience and they were all great. We got to see three performers: Missy Fatale, Betsy Rose and Dave the Bear. Each of them captivated the audience with their own personal style.

Missy Fatale oozed classy sexiness with her first act teasing the audience with a feather dance, then she turned up the heat by flame dancing.

Missy Fatale 
Betsy Rose was upbeat and raunchy starting her act with a military inspired strip tease, then following it up with a more sultry and seductive performance.

Betsy Rose
Dave the Bear was hysterical and the audience couldn't take their eyes off him. He completely owned the stage with his provocative moves.

Dave the Bear
The atmosphere was electric, with the compere keeping everyone entertained with some well picked songs and revving up the excitement before each performer took to the stage. There was glitz and glam everywhere with the crowd dressed up for the 1920's theme of the night and the burlesque dancers dazzling in sequins and glitter.



It was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone, in fact I am just about to book tickets to another show in the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment