Tuesday, September 15, 2015

All Good Things Come to an End

Right sorry for the delay in posting something new, I've realised that changing your blog name comes with a fair amount of challenges and being not so savvy with a computer I have been spending my time trying to learn about coding to make sure its the best it could be before I go backpacking!

All good things come to an end. There I said it and I wish this wasn't true, but unfortunately I couldn't stay in the Caribbean forever, and my 10 days there came to a close pretty quickly. However I realised I haven't actually told you about the random hike we did, the underwater sculpture park we visited or the world cup qualifying football match we watched (I didn't pay much attention during the latter but thought I should mention it all the same).


Unfortunately this isn't me but it is what I was doing!

So in a very particular order let's start with the Underwater Sculpture Park. This is located just off St Georges in Grenada and was designed in the wake of hurricane Lenny which caused some severe coastal damage years ago. The project was created by Jason de Caires Taylor, a sculpture artist who largely funded the project himself. He created several sculptures intended to sit on the bottom of the ocean in a bid to help preserve marine wildlife. It is only recently that other artists have been asked to contribute, two of them local to the island: the result is an incredible mix of modern art, marine wildlife and culture and you can spend a couple of hours with a snorkel swimming through the fish and getting up close and personal with the sculptures (depending on how long you can hold your breath) It was awesome - definitely a different way to snorkel!


One sculpture which really intrigued me was a ring of children holding hands, called Viccissitudes. There is a small and large version of the sculpture and if you dive deep enough you can get really close to them. There is a slightly eerie presence about them but it adds to the general experience! The park itself has recieved international acclaim and is the number one thing you have to do in Grenada so we were lucky to get a chance to do it - you have to either be in a large group or book way in advance to avoid being disappointed!


The sculptures are part of the ocean now with all sorts of things growing on them. Unfortunately I have yet to buy an underwater camera so couldn't get you any of my own pictures, but Dive Grenada the company we went with were more than happy to provide some of these fantastic images. They took us out to the marine park and let us explore, both with a guide and on our own, the treasures underwater. It was a fantastic experience!



As I mentioned earlier, we also went on a hike which was great. 'Oh it's only 45 minutes down the road' my friend had said to me as we left...2 hours and 15 minutes later we finally arrived. But hey, I'm not complaining - it was a beautiful walk down dusty tracks and through the thick mangroves which led you to Hog Island. We decided to go for lunch as according to sources they put on a very good barbeque and you can have drinks and swim in front of the beach 'shack'. It was great - definitley worth the two hour hike there, if only to dive headfirst into the clear blue ocean upon arrival and grab a cold ting (grapefruit drink) to gulp down. 

Don't mind me...
This is the part of travelling that I love the most, I love the reward for walking around the whole day with a backpack on and the feel of an ice cold drink when for the last few hours you have been trying desperately to savour the dusty water you have with you. It makes everything feel worth it and it makes you want to do it all over again, which I definitley would by the way! 



One of the last things we got to do here was watch Grenada vs. Haiti play football in the World Cup Qualifiers, not going to lie football isn't really my thing but the experience was pretty cool. The only place on the island that they could hold the game was in the famous cricket pitch, so that's where we were - kind of weird watching the match take place on the cricket pitch but hey.



This was the first live football game I had ever seen, and probably the last if I am completely honest with you. I am just not that bothered by it. The atmosphere was cool though and although Grenada didn't win everyone seemed to have a good time, and my boyfriend got to meet the captain so he was happy!



I had an epic time in Grenada and I am definitley keen to see more of that part of the world, however tomorrow I am catching a plane in the entierly opposite direction and will be heading to Australia for a while - I have decided I need the ocean in my life and unfortunately the oceans surrounding the UK just don't cut it!

Just another standard Caribbean sunset!



Global Pawprints xx

*The images of the underwater sculpture park are copyright to Dive Grenada and Brenda S and R Duncan Kirby and have been given to me specifically for this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment